Teams make you better than you are, multiply your value, enable you to do what you do best, allow you to help others do their best, give you more time, provide you with companionship, help you fulfill the desires of your heart and compound your vision and effort.
John C. Maxwell – The Law of The Inner Circle
- As each goose flaps its wings it creates an “uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
- Lesson – People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.
- When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front of it.
- Lesson – If we have as much common sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
- When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.
- Lesson – It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others’ skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, or resources.
- Geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
- Lesson – We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one’s core values and encourage the dreams of others) is the quality of honking we seek.
- When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.
- Lesson – If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.
You May Enjoy These Articles As Well...
Why Retiring Later is Not a Reliable Strategy
As you plan for retirement, saving diligently and getting all your ducks in a row, ...read more
5 Common Ways People Lose Their Retirement
Do you want to preserve your wealth? Of course you do! But are you aware ...read more